incubator-general mailing list archives

From André Schnabel <andre.schna...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: "opportunity to reunite the related communities" Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting the Community?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 19:02:11 GMT
Hi Jim,

Am 03.06.2011 21:35, schrieb Jim Jagielski:

> Agreed. And that's why I suggested that that would be an
> excellent initial part of cooperation between the ASF and
> TDF, where they could provide the build/distribution.

Maybe a stupid question, but what should TDF actually build and distribute?
 From what I understand, it will be a long way got get some product to
build in compliance with Apache rules and I doubt you suggest to
distribute anything as "OpenOffice.org" that does not follow these rules.

You can indeed point to the current OOo binaries for download - but
Oracle already offered to maintain the infrastructure during the
transfer. (Btw. the OOo 3.4 is in beta for ~1 months now, users are
awaiting a release sometime soon - this might not be relevant for your
decision, but from our experience this refelcts heavily on the public
perception of the new apache project.)

So although this might be a area of cooperation, I do not see how this
should work in detail.

regards,

André