incubator-general mailing list archives

From André Schnabel <andre.schna...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: TDF/LO, what is the art of the possible?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 16:17:40 GMT
Hi Rob,

I don't want to leave this unanswered, although I very likely cannot
provide the answers
you like to get ... (steering-discuss in cc, so that other SC memebers
might agree or
disagree)

Am 04.06.2011 02:09, schrieb robert_weir@us.ibm.com:
> If someone on the list from TDF is authorized to answer this (or can get
> such authorization), I'd appreciate an official stance on the following
> questions.  This would help us understand what room there is for
> negotiation and what is not worth discussing at all.

In your questionary, the questions to me seem to be of two kinds:

1) questions that are targeted to individuals actions (sign Apache CLA,
contribute
code to Apache as well as to TDF ...)

2) fundamental questions on TDF (join Apache and consolidate there,
choose a name
for the product ...)

Regarding 1) - those questions need to go to the individuals. I (no one)
can answer this
on their behalf. What I can do is to state, that such discussion are
already ongoing on
one or the other list at TDF, but individuals do what individuals like
to do - one choose
this way, one the other.

Regarding 2) - Even if you suggest in a later mail that TDF is young,
small and should
therefore be "flexible" in taking decisions - I feel not authorized to
give an answer. And
I would veto if the SC would be pressed for such a statement (in any case).

We curently count close to 100 project members according to our bylaws
(and we are
verifying some more applications). Substantial questions on what TDF
should do (as
an organization) should be discussed by those members at large. I would
even suggest
to have a vote by our community members - but at the moment I do not
feel that it
is the correct time to go this way.

btw. I very much share William's points in the later mails.

regards,

André