incubator-general mailing list archives

From Italo Vignoli <italo.vign...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 13:33:06 GMT
On 06/02/2011 09:44 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Let's look at it this way: Pretend that when things starting going
> south in OOo, but before TDF was formed, Oracle had done what it
> just did: donate the code and the trademark to the ASF.
> If that had happened, would those of you behind TDF still
> have created it? This is, I think, an important question,
> and an honest answer would get to any real underlying issues,
> imo.

Very honest answer: not being familiar with ASF founding principles, and
perceiving ASF as a very respectable organization, I would prolly start
contributing to the project, but as soon as I would have discovered that
based on ASF license you can build a proprietary SW I would have
abandoned the project.

At OOo, I have never signed neither the JCA nor the SCA, and I have
always been extremely critical vs Sun and openly refused to cooperate if
Sun could benefit from the outcome of my work.

I know that ASF has a different view on this subject, but I have just
expressed my personal opinion.

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
email italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org