incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org: Re: OpenOffice and the ASF]
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:53:15 GMT
Sophie Gautier wrote:
> Hi all,
> On 05/06/2011 10:06, Julien Vermillard wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Shane Curcuru<asf@shanecurcuru.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
>>> ...snip...

>>> ...snip...
>>>
>>> The ASF has a recorded Software Grant that includes the trademark
>>> along with
>>> a specific list of source code files.
>>>
>>> I have not yet seen the specific grant of the trademark itself at the
>>> ASF
>>> yet (i.e. legal documents officially transferring ownership within
>>> the USPTO
>>> here in the US).
>>>
>>> As best I understand, the ASF does not currently own the trademark,
>>> but the
>>> intent of both Oracle and the ASF is that the trademark will be
>>> transferred
>>> to the ASF once the appropriate legal paperwork is completed.  I
>>> presume,
>>> and will follow up, to ensure this includes the graphical logo with the
>>> seagulls.
>>>
>>> Question: is anyone here aware of any registrations of
>>> "OpenOffice.org" or
>>> the logo or other related marks in other countries besides the US?
>>>
>>> - Shane Curcuru
>>>   VP, Brand Management, The Apache Software Foundation
>>>   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
>>>
>>> For those interested:
>>> http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78581289
>>> http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77021413
>>>
>> Hi
>> I found it in the E.U. database, look like it's registered (with the
>> logo).
>> You can check there searching "openoffice" (can't paste result url..) :
>>
>> http://tmview.europa.eu/tmview/basicSearch.html
>>
>> http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/en_SearchBasic
>
> I've got the BOPI for France if you're interested in.
>
> Kind regards
> Sophie

Yes, please.   If anyone has direct links to specific registration
numbers and where they're held of either "OpenOffice.org" (which we're
talking about here) or "Open Office" (which some other organizations
have in at least Europe) they'd be very helpful.  I posted a link to the
Benelux registration of "Open Office" by that company in the Netherlands.

The best place to send those is trademarks@apache.org, a privately
archived list where we organize trademark policy for the ASF.

Thanks!

- Shane