incubator-general mailing list archives

From Florian Effenberger <flo...@documentfoundation.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HREUNITING the Community?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 14:38:37 GMT
Hi,

Greg Stein wrote on 2011-06-04 16.28:
> "Oracle America" is the full name of the entity that granted us the code.
> They may not have been able to get the same tax deduction donating to a
> foreign entity. The tax deduction would be*considerable*  given the value of
> the OOo brand.

ah, sorry, then I understood this wrong - I understood the mail in a way
that in general, an US-based solution would be better. Of course, for
US-based entitites, a US foundation has advantages, whereas for
European-based entities, an European foundation has advantages. What I
wanted to point out is that in any way, a solution has to be found for
those not located in the legislative of the foundation, so ASF and TDF
have the same issues here to solve.

> Personally, I think Oracle's choice had more to do with IBM's
> recommendation, than taxes.

I tend to agree. At least it would have not been impossible at all to
work around that donation isuse, if there had been a will to do so. But
I guess that should not be the topic of this thread. :-)

More on the other mails later on,
Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108