incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Andreas Kuckartz" <A.Kucka...@ping.de>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org: Question to IBM regarding license of Lotus Symphony
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 14:38:27 GMT
Am 04.06.2011 16:00, schrieb Sam Ruby:
> While other choices may make sense depending on the
> specific circumstances, a necessary consequence of making a choice
> that does not cast the widest possible net is fragmentation.

I do not know if that is a "valid perspective" or not, but I think that
the categorical statement ("necessary consequence") contained in it is
false.

The license used for the Linux kernel certainly does not cast the widest
possible net but I do not see significant fragmentation, quite the
contrary. There is essentially one and the same kernel used by (almost)
all Linux distributions (with rather small modifications).

(Generally: When a net is to wide it can get teared up.)

Cheers,
Andreas