incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 14:21:24 GMT
On 03/06/2011 14:53, Allen Pulsifer wrote:
> It has been suggested
> that volunteers, working on their own time, are sufficient for other
> projects, so the ASF likes to see that.  IMO, that is not going to cut it
> with the OpenOffice code base.  With the OpenOffice code base, you need a
> minimum core of people working on the code full time who are paid to work on
> the code.That means this project cannot be ongoing with only volunteers.

Please understand that people are always volunteers to the ASF project.
That does not mean they are volunteers in the sense of "doing good work
for free in their spare time" (although there are people who do that, in
fact some of us are lucky enough to be paid as well as do it in our
spare time).

So when you hear someone in the ASF say "we are all volunteers" it can
usually be translated as "nobody is stopping you volunteering for that,
don't ask me to do it" or perhaps "no I'm not doing that, it's not
important to the objectives of *my* employer" or something similar.

OpenOffice.org is a big project, it has lots of users etc. But the ASF
has a few "reasonably significant" projects already. I have no doubt
that our models can work for OO.o, incubation is about figuring out how
to make it work in this specific case.

Ross