incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Meta-question: How many committers on a proposal are enough?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 13:25:16 GMT
On 03/06/2011 13:35, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Benson Margulies<bimargulies@gmail.com>  wrote on 06/03/2011 08:02:25 AM:
>

>> There is a meta-question here: what are the criteria by which the IPMC
>> should evaluate a proposal?
>>
>> 1. "Are there enough people on the proposal to plausibly start out?"
>>
>> I think everyone agrees on this as a legitimate criterion.
>>
>> 2. "Given the vast size of the codebase, is there any chance of
>> building a large enough group to maintain and enhance it."
>>
>> I fear that this involves the application of a crystal ball, but
>> others may disagree.
>>
>> 3. "How many people are detectable on the two existing projects, as
>> this will teach us something about (2)"
>>
>> No. It won't. Others on this thread of perfectly eloquently explained
> why.
>>
>> So, please make some new threads with some new subjects if you want to
>> argue my view here or any of the substantive questions.
>>

> Done.
>
> I think these are good questions.  But can you recommend a plausible way
> to answer your question #1 without at least estimating an answer for
> question #2?

I can answer that very simply.

The incubator does not expect a viable community on the way *in*, it
only expects a viable community on the way *out*.

We will take a vote on whether to accept this proposal into the
incubator. That vote, for the majority of people, will not be about
vague unanswerable questions such as "will it graduate" it will be about
"is there any *definite* reason to refuse entry to the incubator".

We want as many interested parties as possible on this proposal but
there will be plenty of time in the incubator to welcome in others. If
people don't come then the project will not graduate and the code is
left in a better IP state than before - we can't lose. Simple as that.

Lets not waste time on the crystal ball gazing and arguments over whose
crystal ball is more accurate. Lets instead focus on the important
issues of of trademarks, IP management, infrastructure and initial
committer list.

Ross