incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Blondie's Parallel Lines...
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:07:47 GMT
On 02/06/2011 16:22, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

>> I do have a question though. To me it's unclear whether the Openoffice
>> project has any real development ressources. I see so far one developer and
>> Rob, who I know to be a distinguished engineer from IBM but who has never
>> contributed code to OpenOffice, if I recall. I'm a bit surprised by this as
>> TDF has now over 200 developers, paid and unpaid and I was under the
>> impression that this number was not deemed to be enough by IBM.
>
> The initial list has grown and I expect it to continue to; up
> until it was announced, no one new about it, so it was kinda
> impossible to get a more comprehensive list. Now that people
> do know about it, people are signing on.

"IBM plans to commit new project members and individual contributors
from its global development team to strengthen the project and ensure
its future success." [1]

In an earlier reply to a similar question from me Rob indicated that the
initial committer list does not include these resources as it might have
sent the wrong signal to independents and other collaborators.

The proposal was then updated to say "In order to help encourage the
creation of a broad and diverse project built upon merit, as required of
an Apache project, we have not loaded the initial committer list with
contributors from a single company. Our intention is for the initial
committer list to be representative of the various users of OOo code. " [2]

Ross

[1] http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34638.wss
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal