incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and the ASF
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:03:29 GMT
On 02/06/2011 13:40, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> Hi Ross,
>
> On 2011-06-02 at 12:09 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Instead I would like to
>> understand if this technical objective of breaking OOo code into
>> reusable libraries that the various forks can collaborate on, is part of
>> the TDF mission.
>
> I am one of the LibreOffice developers.  I am not sure if such a mission
> is stated anywhere, but it is for sure something that is happening in
> LibreOffice:
>
> - from the LibreOffice day 1, we have split the one big OOo repository
>    into several smaller ones, hoping we would be able to achieve higher
>    modularity, and reusability of those parts.  Unfortunately, large
>    refactoring that is necessary to clean up the codebase shows that we
>    should have waited a bit with this, and we are going to merge some of
>    the repositories again.  If we decide to split some parts later, we
>    will do that incrementally.

OK, that makes sense. So if the work here produces this kind of
refactoring I assume it is, at least theoretically, possible for
LibreOffice to use this refactored code rather than do the work themselves.

It might be that LibreOffice chooses not to reuse the ASF code and
continues with this refactoring effort independently. That's fine, but
there are people out there that choose not to participate in this effort
due to the adopted licence.

What this proposal does is gives LibreOffice a number of choices they
did not have before. For example:

- they can carry on as now and do the refactoring locally

- or they can work with this project using the meritocratic process to
ensure the project is managed in a LibreOffice compatible way

- or they can sit back and wait to see what happens before expending
resources.

In all these cases LibreOffice can continue to make its releases,
enhance LibreOffice and build its community. Nothing happening here
prevents any of that, it just provides more options about how to get
from "here" to the "there".

Ross