incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Are we required to make everyone happy?
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 15:51:01 GMT
On 6/2/11 11:40, Davide Dozza wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Il 02/06/2011 17:11, robert_weir@us.ibm.com ha scritto:
>> Despite TDF press releases, there was never unanimous support for
>> LibreOffice among members of the OpenOffice.org community.  We're seeing
>> some of them stand up now and be counted.
> As OOo italian native lang maintainer and TDF supporter I don't really
> understand why you keep minimizing and ridiculizing TDF and what they
> have done instead to try to understand how they can be useful for the
> project.

As a complete outsider, I didn't read Robert's quoted comment as
ridiculing TDF. From my understanding, he was just saying that TDF
wasn't exactly what he wanted in an OOo fork, so he is pursuing this
"fork" because it more suits his needs and the needs of some other
members in the OOo community. I don't think this is ridicule, it is just
the very nature of "forking" in the open source world and what makes it
so great, right?

When the original OOo project wasn't working well, the community forked
to create TDF. So, for some people, TDF still isn't working well for
them and they want to create something else. That's just the nature of
open source and is nothing to worry about...let a thousand flowers bloom
and let the users decide.

-> richard