incubator-general mailing list archives

From Simon Brouwer <simon.o...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and the ASF
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:57:40 GMT
Hi Jim,

Op 2-6-2011 16:42, Jim Jagielski schreef:
> On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Simon Brouwer wrote:
>> I had already been so bold as to adding myself to the list, expressing my support
to the proposal. I was wondering though. In the OpenOffice.org project, many community members
contribute in other ways than committing code, for example by writing or translating documentation,
being active in the marketing project, taking part in QA. Some concern has been expressed
that, if the meritocratic system in Apache is based on code contribution only, those community
members are not able to fully become part of the OpenOffice.org Apache project or the Apache
community.
> Any one who suggest such a thing simply does not know nor understand
> the ASF, plain and simple.
I think that is exactly the problem for many in the OpenOffice.org
community. We didn't know of anything going on between OpenOffice.org
and the ASF until Oracle's press release. So we have hardly had the
opportunity to get acquainted ;)

--
Vriendelijke groet,
Simon Brouwer.