incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and the ASF
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:09:57 GMT
> I hope you don't mind if I jump in to the discussion.

Thank you for doing so. Speaking as someone outside all the involved
communities I'm pleased to hear your voice. I'm not equipped to answer
your questions, I'll leave that to people who know the various
communities and intentions better.

However, I do have a binding vote here and therefore I have a couple of
questions for you:

> I seriously doubt that having a separate project, even as incubator,
> within the Apache Foundation, would bring benefit for anyone. The
> Document Foundation has been working for months not only on shaping a
> project, but also on shaping solid grounds to work on, providing the
> legal framework, and our open, meritocratic and transparent approach
> ensures that anyone -- individuals, organizations and businesses -- can
> contribute to the future.

Are the goals of the TDF the same as the goals of this proposal to the
Apache Software Foundation.

Specifically "One of our goals with this incubation project will be to
rationalize and formalize thje coordination of these upstream and
downstream contribution, basing it on the Apache 2.0 license, which
should help us disseminate enhancements to the core more easily, since
this license is easily consumed by all derivitives, even those with
copyleft licenses. " (see the community section of
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal)

I understand there is a potential licence debate in this question. I'd
appreciate it if we could avoid that one (remember the Apache License v2
is, at least one-way, compatible with GPL3). Instead I would like to
understand if this technical objective of breaking OOo code into
reusable libraries that the various forks can collaborate on, is part of
the TDF mission.

A follow up question to this is, again from a technical perspective, is
whether you, as a LibreOffice contributor, believe collaboration on core
components might be possible in the way described.

Ross