incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org: Re: OpenOffice and the ASF]
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 00:18:49 GMT
[cc'ing Italo and Louis hopefully they have joined the incubator list
already, but just in case]

On 02/06/2011 01:01, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> More info re TDF and LOo
> ----- Forwarded message from Italo Vignoli<italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org>
 -----

> Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 23:16:53 +0200
> From: Italo Vignoli<italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org>
> To: Jim Jagielski<jim@apache.org>
> CC: Louis Suarez-Potts<lsuarezpotts@gmail.com>,
> 	Sam Ruby<rubys@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: OpenOffice and the ASF

> I will also read carefully the proposal, and make my comments. I
> understand that it might still be improved (correct me if I am wrong,
> because I have had just a few minutes for going through it, and to me
> it looks incomplete or too succinct in some areas).

I agree with this and have asked some questions on the
general@incubator. The answers seem perfectly reasonable to me (see
below to a link to the main response and the rest of the thread).
However, I'm not a part of the TDF or LOo communities so please bring
your own, more relevant, questions and suggestions to the incubator list.

> OOo is a very large project with a very large and diverse community.
> In my opinion, it would be a pity to lose a percentage of this
> community because the proposal is not inclusive enough).

+1

It's worth reading Robs reply to my question about the limited initial
committer list. I felt it indicated a level of inclusion that is not yet
fully represented in the proposal (other than this is the ASF and thus
by definition inclusive). He said:

"We could have put a much longer list of IBM names on this list,
developers familiar with the code base via their work on Lotus Symphony
(which is our OpenOffice based project). But then we could have been
criticized for the proposal being too dominated by IBM. It is clearly
our intent to grow this project, both from our corporate developers, but
also by recruiting new members to the project, including developers from
related open source projects (see my previous note)" See
http://markmail.org/message/qxqplq7rq6nuxorq (the previous note referred
to is http://markmail.org/message/esgluawloid64o6r)

It would be great if you could work with Rob to make the proposal
reflect this intention and is, as far as possible, accommodating to the
TDF and LOo communities ...

> I will be away until Sunday, but I will read emails every now and then.

... when you get back :-)

Ross