incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <>
Subject Re: Apache Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:55:33 GMT
On 6/1/2011 11:33 AM, wrote:
> That would be great.  There is also another project (or set of projects)
> that IBM and Sun/Oracle have worked on over the past few years, called the
> :ODF Toolkit".  For example, this component was just released today:
> The ODF Toolkit work was all written to an Apache 2.0 license.  I think
> we're agreed that this should go to Apache as well.  But we were not sure
> what the best place would be.  I could see a close relationship to Apache
> POI.  It is very similar to those components, but it is certainly not a
> "Microsoft" file format.  And I don't agree that the "Pretty Obfuscated
> Interface" part accurately describes ODF.  But I could also see the ODF
> Toolkit being a component in the Office project, perhaps even being
> co-incubated with today's proposal.
> Any thoughts on that?

I believe you should go ahead with a new proposal (wiki would be best with
a link to general@)... this bit has no licensing concerns, so it would be
on the fast track to becoming part of another existing project or a new
project in its own right.

I'd suggest you invite the dev@ lists of tika/poi to participate in the
discussion here at general and join this incubation project if they are
interested.  With very few concerns the entire process should be very fast
and I would not weigh it down with the complexities of the OOo proposal
which may take longer to sort out.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message