incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:52:46 GMT
On 01/06/2011 17:33, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Jukka Zitting<jukka.zitting@gmail.com>  wrote on 06/01/2011 12:13:09 PM:
>

>>>   Community
>>>
>>>   OpenOffice.org. seeks to further encourage developer and user
> communities
>>> during incubation, beyond the existing developers currently working on
> the
>>> project.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how (or if) the LibreOffice community would fit into
>> this picture?
>>

> There are many projects, open source and proprietary that are derived from
> Sun/Oracle's original OpenOffice project.
>
> I made a diagram of this on a blog post a while ago:
>
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/oo-forks.png
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2010/11/the-legacy-of-openoffice-org.html

This is really helpful Rob. Thanks.

> So I think we want to consider all of this.  This code base, although not
> your typical piece of componentry, does appear to have been treated as
> something that could be customized, repackaged and redistributed.  I don't
> have the exactly numbers, but there are significant users of the following
> OpenOffice derivatives:
>
> - LibreOffice
> - IBM Lotus Symphony
> - EuroOffice
> - BrOffice (which some would say is a derivative of LibreOffice)
> - RedOffice
>
> In all cases there are several overlapping communities:
>
> - a community of developers
> - a community of users
> - a community of supporters, trainers, consultants, etc.
>
> We'll need to work out how these related, and especially which of these
> community functions are a good fit for an eventual Apache TLP, and which
> things fit better outside of Apache.  But my recommendation is that we
> encourage the core development of the editors to occur in Apache, while
> making it easy, via a modular extension mechanism, a modular install, etc.
> for others to customize and redistribute as permitted by the Apache 2.0
> license.

I like the sound of this and I note that Bob Sutor says similar in his
blog [1]

I think it would be really good to have this goal in the proposal
itself, it is something concrete to point to from a community
development point of view.

Ross

[1]
http://www.sutor.com/c/2011/06/some-remarks-on-openoffice-going-to-apache/