incubator-general mailing list archives

From Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:52:39 GMT
On 06/01/2011 11:45 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 17:29, Greg Stein wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:21, Ross Gardler<rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Thanks for this exciting proposal. I have a few questions.
>>>
>>> There are only two initial committers identified in the proposal. Why
>>> only
>>> two for such a large codebase?
>>
>> Hopefully more will show up. As with other podlings, we're usually
>> quite liberal with adding people onto the "Initial Committers" list.
>
> I see, so the community development starts now. Good. I hope we see
> plenty of LibreOffice people stepping up to be named. If they do step up
> will they be added?
>
>>> The proposal states "Both Oracle and ASF agree that the OpenOffice.org
>>> development community, previously fragmented, would re-unite under
>>> ASF to
>>> ensure a stable and long term future for OpenOffice.org." What
>>> evidence is
>>> there to support this bold statement? And who are the "ASF" that made
>>> this
>>> statement?
>>
>> No idea. Maybe they're missing a "we hope".
>
> I'll subscribe to "we hope".
>
> Ross

The The Document Foundation released this announcement today:

http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/announce/msg00047.html

One thing of note is that they state that the Apache License is
compatible with LGPLv3+ and MPL. This means that improvements made under
the Apache License could be merged into LibreOffice. However, I don't
think that the opposite will be true.