incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting the Community?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 17:58:51 GMT

On Jun 3, 2011, at 1:36 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 3 Jun 2011, at 17:52, Ian Lynch wrote:
>
>> Hi Florian,
>>

>>> I do see with great concern is the need for a second project to be set-up
>>> at Apache or any other entity.
>>>

>> Thing is that this is done, Oracle didn't and won't now give the IP to any
>> other foundation.  So we are where we are.
>
> We may be where we are, but we collectively have the opportunity to collaborate once
Oracle has gone - that's what "open" means.  "My way or the highway" talk - from any side
- is detestable.  ASF has the opportunity to reject the bait to head down the path of ideological
conflict, choose a conciliatory path that respects the existing community and especially to
use the trademark (which is the only actual asset being transferred) for everyone's good.

Let's be honest: by "collaborate" you mean have the ASF simply
xfer the code and the trademark to TDF and walk away... At least,
that is the strong impression you give. Please correct me if I'm
wrong.