incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Request: Can "proposed committers" introduce themselves?
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 01:23:25 GMT
Sure. Hi everyone (maybe the people that Rob knows should introduce themselves as well - some
of us are new to the community.)

My name is David Fisher. I have been in the software industry for over 30 years. I've worked
in many computer languages - FORTRAN, PL/1, C, C++,  Postscript,  Java, Basic, etc., etc.
I wrote a PDF producer in C++ in the early 90's. At my direction as a project manager we developed
the ability to produce PowerPoint output using Apache POI. This was contributed back to the
project and this started my involvement with the ASF.

I am very interested in the synergies and advantages to the OOo community that full cross
compatibility with Microsoft Office documents could provide - particularly with workbooks.

I look forward to working with the ODF Toolkit. I also would like to see what I can do to
help with fonts, EPS, PDF and print files.

The ASF has sponsored several projects which have become essential tools at work - Tomcat,
Lucene and POI especially.

I am speaking as individual and not for my corporate employer (not a software company.)