incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 21:56:16 GMT
Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

On 5 Jun 2011, at 19:21, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMO the only negative thing then about LibreOffice is the copyleft
> license - everything else about them is great. When deciding whether
> to accept OO we should consider whether that and facilitating BigCos
> interests is worth splitting the FOSS community.
>
> I am considering voting -1 to this proposal for those reasons.

I've been considering these same issues. But I've come out with a different view.

If Foo decides they can contribute to an Apache Licensed OO.o but not a copyleft LO then I'd
rather have Foo contribute.

This does not force a split in the community. The copyleft LO can still use Foo's code. They
may choose not to, but it is not our actions, here in the incubator, that force that choice.

By facilitating Foo we are also facilitating any number of other businesses, large and small.
Permissively minded and copyleft (not all copyleft minded folk, true).

I've been ready to vote for a while, but I do think we need to give TDF/LO folk more time.
Deciding to accept this code (for me) is easier than them deciding whether to sign up as initial
committers or not.

Ross