incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Oozie for the Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:32:28 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:22:39AM +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> You might want to reconsider the name.
>
> In English (British English at least) "ooze" is an unpleasant thing
> often related to a body wound or a stagnant river. The formal
> definition is not so bad [1], but in common (UK) usage it's
> unpleasant.

And I thought at first that it was a reference to the Uzi, a submachine gun.

It's apparently the Burmese term for an elephant handler.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahout

    In Burma, the profession is called oozie; in Thailand kwan-chang; and in
    Vietnam quản tượng.

We had a good laugh about all this in the #lucy_dev IRC channel a couple days
ago.  One of the participants (who free-associated "Oozie" with "sucking chest
wound") suggested that Hadoop projects might consider referencing stuffed
animals rather than elephants.  :)

Marvin Humphrey