incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 21:18:14 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19:41AM +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> > (Looks like OOo is already starting to impact our volunteer resources.)
> >
> > FYI, at this point I still plan to gate my vote on a +1 vote from a Droids
> > Mentor.  IMO, it would be less than ideal to have an inaugural release
> > approved by one interested party (Thorsten) augmented by freelancers, even if
> > one or more Mentors has expressed some measure of support in the past.
>
> Actually I stepped up as mentor when Grant resigned.

My primary concern is IP clearance for an inaugural ASF release.  As a
freelancer, I can perform a superficial examination of the existing artifacts,
but I was not there while the IP that makes them up was being imported or
committed.

However, if the IPMC has seen fit to appoint you as a Mentor, I will defer to
the collective judgment and assume that sufficient care has been exercised.

> I need to search in my send mail folder but I actually wrote an request
> to the private incubator list to add me as mentor.

Googling these message id's only turns up this post; since I'm not an ASF
Member, I don't have access to the ap-mail archives on people.apache.org;
sending mail to the private-get.1-2000@incubator.a.o failed; searching
droids-dev and general@incubator.a.o via MarkMail did not turn up any
indication of where the Mentorship appointment took place.

Can somebody please help out with confirmation that Thorsten's request to
become a Mentor for Droids went through?

> > Lastly, I think it's worth commenting on the contents of README.TXT, which
> > starts off like so:
> >
> >                         A p a c h e    D r o i d s
> >                         --------------------------
> >
> >                by Thorsten Scherler <thorsten at apache.org>
> >
> > That credit is obviously inaccurate and seems quite unusual for an Apache
> > project.  I know that other projects have gone out of their way to delete all
> > @author tags.  Perhaps Droids might consider doing likewise.
>
> If you read this file to the end you will find:
> "Please report feedback to the labs mailing list."
>
> Meaning this file have not changed since it was first created in Apache
> Labs. That is the only reason for this unusual credit. It started as
> personal research project and we have not reviewed this file ever since.
> Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix it right away.

Fab, that's great.  :)

Marvin Humphrey