incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice & LibreOffice
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 20:53:44 GMT
On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 04:26:15PM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> That indeed would be a wonderful place to end up.
>
> At the present time, there are people who would rather not participate
> in such an arrangement.  They have something that works just fine for
> them.  Many are skeptical that we can deliver.  The most that we can
> do is (a) enable such collaboration, and (b) execute.  If we do both
> well, we will achieve much more than we could by prior agreement.
>
> I think it is in our best interests to acknowledge that we don't yet
> have a track record or anything new to offer.  And that in such a
> context it is rather presumptuous at this point for us proclaim that
> we are the core or even are relevant.

+1

Beautifully put, Sam.  That is exactly how I read the TDF situation, as well,
based on interactions both here and on the documentfoundation.org lists.  They
have worked hard, and they are deservedly proud of what they've achieved.

I'm glad you've taken a lead role in these outreach efforts.

Marvin Humphrey