incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice.org Incubator Proposal: Collaboration with TDF/LO
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 17:18:36 GMT
On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:43:50PM +0100, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2011, at 12:19, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> >

> > LibreOffice complements anything we do here at Apache to those who
> > agree with the license terms under which LibreOffice is made
> > available.  Until or unless we resolve that issue, I feel that the
> > statement above would need to be both qualified in this manner and
> > extended to enumerate other complements that might apply in other
> > situations.
>
> I disagree. LO has a focus on the binary deliverables and the consumer destinations they
reach that is perfectly complementary to the developer focus of Apache. This complementarity
is entirely unrelated to licensing.

Agreed, but that assumes that LO is "just" a build/deliverables/consumer
focused entity, and doesn't have a developer interest as well. As long
as they still do, then licensing is important.