incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 15:43:47 GMT

On Jun 5, 2011, at 6:26 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>> Not just yet.  I don't want anyone to feel that we rushed this.
>
> Oh, i didn't want to rush
>
>> If that progress can be made in less than 24 hours, imagine what the
>> next 24, 48, or even 72 hours will bring.
>
> Compared and good :-)
>
>> My expectation is that the right time to hold a vote will be by the
>> end of the week (Greg previously expressed a similar thought), however
>> if there is a good reason for this to spill over into early next week
>> I would be fine with that too.
>
> This is fine for me.
>
> But pragmatic as I am, I wanted to know about the key blockers if
> there are still any from incubator view.  Currently discussion is
> focussing on convincing people why it is good. I think more on: is the
> proposal valid and good or are there unclear/incomplete items
>
> Thanks for your long response

I posted a similar statement yesterday. Personally, I think the traffic on this list has settled
down a lot in the last 24 hours and is now focusing in on topics more relevant to this list.
But maybe that is just because it was Saturday :-)

What I am still waiting to hear on are:
1. The amount of code in the project that the grant didn't give to us under the Apache License.
2. The amount of work that will be required to rework dependencies.
3. Whether the number of initial committers will be sufficient to start the project (this
is probably going to be very subjective).
4. Whether there are enough mentors who have the time to devote to this.  Since this is a
very large undertaking I'd appreciate a bit more than just their name on the wiki but perhaps
an actual estimate of how much time they have to devote to the project.

Ralph