incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 16:46:31 GMT

On Jun 5, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

>> I posted a similar  statement yesterday. Personally, I think the traffic
>> on this list has settled  down a lot in the last 24 hours and is now
>> focusing in on topics more relevant  to this list. But maybe that is just
>> because it was Saturday :-)
>
> Most of the sniping^H^H^H^Hdiscussion has moved over to the libreoffice
> lists at this point.
>
>> What I  am still waiting to hear on are:
>> 1. The amount of code in the project that  the grant didn't give to us
>> under the Apache License.
>
> Not a blocker for starting incubation.  IOW we don't ask for this level of
> detail from other podlings.

It might be a blocker for my vote.  You are, of course, free to vote differently.  This is
a much larger project than usually enters the incubator.  I'm worried that if the project
has too much of this kind of work to deal with it will kill the community.

>> 2. The amount of work  that will be required to rework dependencies.
>
> Not a blocker for starting incubation. Keep in mind that the podling may
> elect to "release" via the libreoffice infrastructure, which gives them
> the same flexibility wrt licensing issues that we gave to subversion
> (which to this point has yet to cut a formal ASF release).

Same as my point above.  But your point is well taken that there may be other ways to achieve
the end goal.  If leveraging LibreOffice was going to be the way of doing releases initially
then I might expect to see the proposal updated to indicate that there is agreement with that
community to do that.  In the end, to me this is just making sure the community doesn't have
so many roadblocks that failure is very likely.

>> 3. Whether the number of  initial committers will be sufficient to start
>> the project (this is probably  going to be very subjective).
>
> This is a concern I share.  So far IBM has committed only a handful of people
> to this effort, despite big talk from Bob Sutor and friends about their vision
> for the code.
>
>> 4. Whether there are enough mentors who have  the time to devote to this.
>> Since this is a very large undertaking I'd  appreciate a bit more than just
>> their name on the wiki but perhaps an actual  estimate of how much time they
>> have to devote to the  project.
>
> Given the poor track record of most IPMC mentors, I sorta agree with this
> concern,
> but looking at the actual names involved I expect most of them will do their
> fair share.  Remember the success or failure of OOo depends on the PPMC's
> ability
> to handle the load, not the mentors'.

See my other email. With 7 mentors now listed I'm much less concerned.

Ralph