incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request: Can "proposed committers" introduce themselves?
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:16:27 GMT
Hi Peter,

The vote is currently open and thus the proposal has been fixed until the end of the vote.
 Once the vote has completed and the podling PMC has been formed I will ensure your request
is processed.

Thanks for your interest.

Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

On 11 Jun 2011, at 18:49, Peter Korn <peter.korn@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Peter Korn, and I've been working on accessibility for the last 20 years.

> I started that career developing assistive technologies for folks with vision impairments,
and then moved to Sun where I worked on platform accessibility frameworks.  Around 10 years
ago I helped start the StarOffice/OpenOffice.org accessibility effort (and had the pleasure
of meeting Malte, with whom I've worked for a good many years).  That's also the time I kicked
off the GNOME accessibility effort.

> I've moved away from writing code on a regular basis, spending more time on accessibility
policy, design, management, and related matters.  I am co-chair of the now-mostly-quiet OASIS
ODF accessibility subcommittee, and helped with the analysis and fixes to the ODF spec.  I
am Technical Manager of the AEGIS project [http://www.aegis-project.eu], where we are developing
a number of extensions to OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice for accessibility, including the successful
odt2daisy and odt2braille extensions (for creating digital talking books for folks with print
impairments and embossing braille documents respectively), and a hopefully-soon-to-be-published
extension to support language learning and writing via the concept-coding framework for folks
with cognitive impairments - among other things.

> I doubt I'll contribute much direct code to the effort, but I look forward to helping
with design decisions that affect accessibility.

> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> --
> <oracle_sig_logo.gif>
> Peter Korn | Accessibility Principal
> Phone: +1 650 5069522
> 500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94065
> <green-for-email-sig_0.gif> Oracle is committed to developing practices and products
that help protect the environment