incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 22:21:06 GMT

On Jun 5, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2011, at 19:15, Greg Stein wrote:

this list has settled down a lot in the last 24 hours and is now focusing in on topics more
relevant to this list. But maybe that is just because it was Saturday :-)

>>> Agreed, just some quick thoughts...

>>> List published by Sam, and Christian suggests this reflects the OOo repo...
>>> http://people.apache.org/~rubys/openoffice.files.txt
>>> Actually tearing into that repo for files differently-copyrighted might
>>> be a task for RAT :)
>>
>> I doubt that you'll find anything "differently-copyrighted" in that
>> list. My understanding is that Oracle created the list with something
>> like "grep '(C) Oracle'" :-)
>>
>> I'm more interested in the list of files from the Hg repository that
>> are NOT in that list. I gotta believe it is non-zero, so what are
>> they, and how much of a problem will that be?
>
> I've been discussing this privately with some folk, and while we've not done an exhaustive
analysis between us we're fairly sure that list doesn't include any of the (numerous) work-in-progress
branches that are not merged into the actual release.  Is it crucial to get a comprehensive
list before the podlet is established, or can ASF still sort this out with Oracle in incubation?

I personally don't need anything "sorted out" before the project enters incubation. All I
care about is whether the community will be able to effectively deal with it or be blocked
by it. That just requires some idea of how big a problem it is.

Ralph