incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Questions for the cheap seats. - Priming the Pump
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 04:40:22 GMT
Since I don't know what "proper, vetted release" entails, I will have to shut up.  If it is
a concern that Oracle has included something that doesn't belong to them, I suppose you might
want to do whatever you need to do to ensure the IP is in order.

But considering that this is the (initial) extent of the grant, I think having it archived
for what it is would simply make sense (I am not talking about it being a release).  I also
think it is a good idea just in case we mess up moving it into the Apache infrastructure and
need a do-over.

It is not about leaving the incubator or anything.  I think of it as baked prudence with a
sauce of transparency.  I'm surprised this is a problem, but then I are a simple man ... .

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2011 21:22
To: general@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: Questions for the cheap seats. - Priming the Pump

Sorry, but we don't typically release code from not-passed proposals or failed podlings. This
would be an extraordinary circumstance, which is why I mentioned the Board input.

So... I would not recommend this as a "first step" since it would be abnormal. Tarballs on
the sly aren't good; the ASF wants a proper, vetted release.

Cheers,
-g

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 00:00, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I think this should be the very first step regardless, even for first materials accessible
from the podling.

> The next would be to figure out how to stage it onto the Apache infrastructure, build
what can be built, see what the deltas are, etc.

> This sort of preservation and assessment seems indispensible in getting going and seeing
what the opportunities are.

code that was granted to us, apply the ALv2, and drop the tarball onto archive.apache.org.

> Third parties could pick up that code under the ALv2 license, but it would never be a
"released product from Apache". Other producers of OOo-related software could incorporate
that code, should they wish.