incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: "opportunity to reunite the related communities" Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting the Community?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 07:08:38 GMT
I've been wondering if there is a division of labor that works for the short term while community-spanning
work continues:

 1. I'm thinking that it is important to recognize that LibreOffice has some remarkable momentum.
 There is a great deal they are on top of or are getting on top of, including all of the localizations,
the user documentation, user feedback and requests as well as bug reports, and a development
community that is charging ahead.  The rebranding is going to be completed before the Apache
Incubator will barely have sleeves to roll up.  I'm thinking it would be good to leave them
to it, with any tighter coupling to be worked out as there is experience over matters of common
interest.

 2. I see something, already mentioned, that the Adobe Incubator can claim as its initial
territory:  production of a reference implementation of a native OpenDocument Format processor
along with component libraries and tooling.  The idea is to have, starting from the contributed
OpenOffice.org code base, a running, narrated framework  for customization and delivery of
polished products such as LibreOffice.  There are a number of areas, some of them rather large,
that the Apache incubator could carve out, such as providing a reference implementation and
test suites for the OpenFormula component of ODF 1.2.  I'm sure many others will come to mind.
 I think LibreOffice would take a stake in such work, as would other producers of ODF-supporting
products.  The reference implementation could also provide some missing calibration on the
extent to which ODF is supported and what the typical omissions and deviations are (and ways
to be transparent about them).

 - Dennis

PS: Personal side notes: I don't care if it is called OpenOffice.org or not.  Maybe not is
a better answer.  I am also a fan of the vibrancy and vitality seen in the way that LibreOffice
appeals to a wide variety of contributors, especially those with a focus on overcoming defects
and limitations that users have observed personally and bring to LibreOffice for clarification
or relief.  I didn't sense that with OpenOffice.org.  I may have simply been looking in the
wrong place, but it is clear that is being provided for LibreOffice.  I want to encourage
that.  I fancy the some-kind-of-green-color branding too.  And installs that don't evangelize
somebody else's browser or toolbar or virtual system run-time.
  I also worry a little that the pace of weekly beta  and release-candidates risks serious
regression failures and is not sustainable as a practical matter.  I trust they'll adjust
that in time as they rush toward whatever the vision for LibreOffice 4.0 happens to be.