incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Apache OpenOffice.org Incubator Proposal: Collaboration with TDF/LO
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 23:45:52 GMT
Something about the licenses to be reconciled is useful to have somewhere so folks can understand
what the big deal is.  Maybe in a location for backup details?

For example, contributors to the current LibreOffice code are asked to assert LGPL3/MPL.
The extensive effort and roadmap for user documentation is leading to documents that are GPL3/CC-by
dual-licensed.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Phipps [mailto:simon@webmink.com]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 15:16
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache OpenOffice.org Incubator Proposal: Collaboration with TDF/LO

I suggest:

"The LibreOffice project is an important partner in the OpenOffice.org community, with an
established potentially highly complementary focus on the GNU/Linux community as well as on
Windows and Mac consumer end-users. We will seek to build a constructive working and technical
relationship so that the source code developed at Apache can be readily used downstream by
LibreOffice, as well as exploring ways for upstream contributions to be received as much as
possible within the constraints imposed by mutual licensing choices.

There will be other ways we may be able to collaborate, including jointly sponsored public
events, interoperability 'plugfests', standards, shared build management infrastructure, shared
release mirrors, coordination of build schedules, version numbers, defect lists, and other
downstream requirements. We will make this relationship a priority early in the life of the
podlet."

S.