incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal - Dependency License Clash
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 21:01:31 GMT
I've lost the thread on this, but I thought that one observation was about the dependencies
in OpenOffice.org (and LibreOffice.org) on material from other sources and not necessarily
under the same license.   In that regard, there may be a difference among some of those in
terms of what is considered LGPL/GPL friendly and what is considered Apache 2.0 friendly.
 The current contributors to LibreOffice code are asked to affirm that their contribution
is an MPL/LGPL dual if they have not already done so as part of a submission.

For assessment of this situation, both distributions have maintained the Sun Microsystem practice
of including a THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html at the top-level of the install location.  I am
sure these are on-line somewhere in the web view of their code bases, but I've given up looking.
 (In SVN I can find stuff.  In git, not so much.)  The attachment is the one that came with
the LibreOffice 3.3.2 stable release for Windows.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Gardler [mailto:rgardler@apache.org]
< http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/%3c4DE8A9D4.2070200@apache.org%3e>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 02:31
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal

[ ... ]

Oracle owns all copyright in contributions to date and they have already signed the grant
to allow Apache to sublicence it. The grant is identical to the one all other projects coming
in sign, see http://www.apache.org/licenses/proposed/software-grant.txt

If there are dependencies that Oracle do not own these need to be addressed on a case by case
basis. That is part of the incubation process. It would be helpful if the proposal identified
what licence incompatibilities there are, this has been requested and promised in another
thread. The incubator is experieced with dealing with these issues once clearly identified.

[ ... ]