incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: OpenOffice - Wiki - Required Resources - Subversion vs. Mercurial vs. Git
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 17:11:15 GMT
I say that the sooner one can move to uni-directional flows with the bi-directionals out in
customization and adoption layers, if anywhere, the better.  It is difficult to conceive of
any other way to get on top of the refactoring that is surely required as part of making a
manageable, layered component structure.

Yes, I  know this is simplistic in the face of the reality of OpenOffice.org.  I maintain
that such a separation of concerns should be sought.  That to some degree the problem of multi-platform
distribution, localization, etc., has already been taken on by at least one "another" provides
some important breathing room.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Burrell Donkin [mailto:robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com]
 <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/%3cBANLkTi=Of5efCECyTN5_ePftAZR7V3DeSw@mail.gmail.com%3e>
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2011 00:49
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: OpenOffice - Wiki - Required Resources - Subversion vs. Mercurial vs. Git

[ ... ]

Apache uses a canonical pattern best suited to uni-directional flows.
This tends to force finely grained component based designs, and clearer distinction between
up and downstream code bases. So, again, we probably need to think about how to maintain continuity
and about allowing a transitional period...

Robert