incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: questions on proposal I'm championing
Date Tue, 24 May 2011 09:41:53 GMT
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've agreed to champion an incubator submission.  It's my first time doing this.
 I have a few questions.

> 1) The project has been open sourced under ALv2 for a while and has had a number of releases.
 When it comes to the incubator, does the project's name need to change?

Only if the name is a trademark from another software product where
confusion might arise, or we (the foundation) are unable to own the
name as a trademark.

What we (The ASF) want is to own the project—including its name. So
when moving to The ASF, the trademark of the project name has to
transfer as well.

Martijn