incubator-general mailing list archives

From dsh <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Howl as an Incubator Project
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:41:35 GMT
There as well existed an open source project called Howl in 2005 or so
which implemented Zeroconf (Apple calls the commercial incarnation

See: -> About

Howl is available in the FreeBSD ports collection and on SF.NET

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Roy T. Fielding <> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Alan Gates wrote:
>> Some context here for you.  Howl is a project that was recently accepted to the
Incubator.  It is a proposed new component in the Hadoop eco system.  There is significant
concern in the Incubator that this will clash with the name of the Howl OW2 project (
and thus cause Apache legal troubles.  The relevant email threads can be seen at
and  As can be seen in the email threads some are concerned about
legal issue while some feel that the use of the name is acceptable.
>> There is interest in the team proposing Howl to keep the name since the name has
already been in use for 9 months in the Hadoop, Pig, and Hive communities (without confusion
or legal issues I might add).  However, we would like to get legal's input on whether using
Howl for this project name presents a risk for Apache.  Thanks.