incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Releases and IPMC votes
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:13:08 GMT
I was under the impression that *any* mentor is an IPMC member, has a
binding +1 vote for releases and could therefore approve of releases
without having to go through general@

While I find it very helpful and valuable for first time releases (and
first time release managers) to go to general@ the first time,
consecutive releases could go a lot smoother if Mentor votes were all
that is required.

The current policy states:

> Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the Podling SHALL
> hold a vote on the Podling's public -dev list. At least three +1 votes are required (see
the
> Apache Voting Process page). If the majority of all votes is positive, then the Podling
> SHALL send a summary of that vote to the Incubator's general list and formally request
> the Incubator PMC approve such a release. Three +1 Incubator PMC votes are required.

So there's not much leeway here. Although the three +1 incubator PMC
votes are often already satisfied.

Martijn