incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Howl as an Incubator Project
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2011 02:37:28 GMT
Having gone through project renames from Jsecurity to Ki to Shiro, I
can attest that it's much less painful to change the name sooner
rather than later. If there's even an indication that a
naming/trademark conflict may occur, it almost certainly will at some
point. I realize this is not a naming suggestion thread, but "Apache
Holler" would stay with the theme and might be easy to get accepted.

Kalle

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Alan Gates <gates@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We are taking it seriously.  We (Howl mentors and committers) discussed
>>> this and the consensus seemed to be we wanted to stay with the name if
>>> possible.  The feedback on this list was mixed, with many for changing it
>>> and some not worried about it.  So we wanted to stick with it for now and
>>> see how it went.
>>>

>> I'm not here to create a problem for y'all. Keep in mind I +1'd the proposal
>> even though I had some reservations about all of you being Yahoo'ers. You
>> can work on that in the incubator - no problem to diversify while
>> incubating.
>
> I think the majority of those voting +1 for incubation wanted the name changed based
on the concerns that were raised.  I would be concerned about a release being done as howl
while in the incubator and would certainly vote -1 to leaving it unless a) it is definitely
determined that no trademark conflicts exist (this may require contacting the other parties
and getting their permission) or b) the name is changed to something that doesn't have similar
conflicts.