incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Howl as an Incubator Project
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2011 01:51:19 GMT

On Mar 8, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Alan Gates <gates@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>
>> We are taking it seriously.  We (Howl mentors and committers) discussed
>> this and the consensus seemed to be we wanted to stay with the name if
>> possible.  The feedback on this list was mixed, with many for changing it
>> and some not worried about it.  So we wanted to stick with it for now and
>> see how it went.
>>

> I'm not here to create a problem for y'all. Keep in mind I +1'd the proposal
> even though I had some reservations about all of you being Yahoo'ers. You
> can work on that in the incubator - no problem to diversify while
> incubating.

I think the majority of those voting +1 for incubation wanted the name changed based on the
concerns that were raised.  I would be concerned about a release being done as howl while
in the incubator and would certainly vote -1 to leaving it unless a) it is definitely determined
that no trademark conflicts exist (this may require contacting the other parties and getting
their permission) or b) the name is changed to something that doesn't have similar conflicts.

Ralph