incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Howl as an Incubator Project
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 18:26:09 GMT
We are taking it seriously.  We (Howl mentors and committers)
discussed this and the consensus seemed to be we wanted to stay with
the name if possible.  The feedback on this list was mixed, with many
for changing it and some not worried about it.  So we wanted to stick
with it for now and see how it went.

Our desire to stay with the name is not merely because we like the
name.  The Pig, Hive, and MapReduce teams have been talking about Howl
in their communities for 9 months now, and we are concerned that
changing the name will cause confusion in those communities.  I cannot
recall anyone in our communities confusing the Howl we are talking
about with the Howl OW2 project.

What if we call it Howl Table Manager?  That would address our
concerns about confusion in our communities.  Would it address the
concerns expressed on this list about confusion with Howl OW2 and your
concerns about legal liabilities for Apache?

Alan.