incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduated projects please tidy up: abdera aries buildr chemistry esme oodt river shiro thrift uima
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 03:56:20 GMT
Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> I'd like to question this: why would the Incubator ever delete archives of releases?
We have active links on the TLP for e.g., OODT and for e.g., Tika that point users to our
Incubator releases that are still active Incubator links. I realize that archive.apache.org
keeps a copy, but following your logic, why would any TLP maintain its own dist area? It could
just point to the archives?

We are not deleting any archives.

Keeping the dist area tidy with only current releases
means that this huge ASF-wide content is mirrored efficiently.

Also, we don't mirror archive.a.o via that dist system.

I just had a look at Tika download page. It does as i suggested
earlier: They link to
archive.apache.org/dist/tika/
for old releases
and to
archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/tika/
for the older incubator releases.

-David

> In my mind, it's perfectly acceptable to keep releases that are made in Incubator ville
on the Incubator dist page -- that's not just a requirement for active Incubator projects,
it should be true even when they graduate.