incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Voting waiting period
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:57:51 GMT
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote on Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 22:32:24 -0500:
>> On 2/5/11 4:16 PM, Scott O'Bryan wrote:
>> > Bertrand,
>> >
>> > I agree.  The good thing about a vibrant community is that they
>> > generally enforce this.  All I'm saying is this shouldn't be a "must"
>> > requirement, rather it should be a shall and we can let the individual
>> > communities work out what exceptions they allow.
>> +1 - but so the whole community can follow what is going on, it is
>> best to be open about what the "exceptions" can be and also to
>> include end dates in posts that kick off VOTEs.
>>
>> Phil

> The rule ought to be that the vote is long enough to let everyone
> interested vote before closing of polls.

How can you know when *everyone interested* has long enough? *Open
Source* by its definition means you can't.

Also say, for example, on a release vote that someone finds a critical
issue, then it doesn't really matter how many people previously voted
+1. Shortening the vote reduces the opportunity for that.

72hours should be the norm, and only a good reason (and the only one I
can think of, or have seen is a security issue).

Niall