incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] MRUnit entry into the Apache Incubator
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:18:05 GMT
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

>>> I don't know, none of those things really sound like justification for
>>> a separate TLP, keeping something like this nearby to Hadoop MapReduce
>>> seems like it would help give it a better chance of long term survival
>>>  to me. Wouldn't simply moving mrunit out from
>>> hadoop/mapreduce/trunk/src to somewhere else so it can do its own
>>> releases and deploy its artifacts achieve all those objectives?...
>
> Personally I don't believe that the project has any chance for survival at Apache unless
this Incubator project happens.

> The Hadoop community has been VOTE'ing over the past month to abandon development of
portions of their code base (namely contrib portions that no developers or users are maintaining
or leveraging). MRUnit came up as one of those contribs, and what was discovered was that
some of the issues with the Hadoop community (electing new committers, having too many products
tied to a single release cycle, too many infrequent releases) had stagnated the development
of MRUnit so much that a small sect of Hadoop developers had forked MRUnit into Github and
were developing it there. So there *was* active development going on, it just wasn't at Apache.

> A few of us members (myself, Patrick and Nige) were willing to step up and volunteer
that in contrast to seeing an ASF product and its community head over to Github and continue
development there, we'd like the product to stick around at the ASF.

> There is no hard and fast rule as to the size of a community for TLP-status, and that's
far down the road anyways aka why are we worrying about that now during a [PROPOSAL] phase
when it's an *exit criteria* for the Incubator? The point of Incubation is to help grow that
community and sort that stuff out and I have no doubt in my mind that these folks here on
the proposal who are willing and trying to develop something successful at Apache can't meet
that challenge.

You're right about the entry criteria, there's a very low bar to
becoming an Incubator poddling so if you all really want to I'm pretty
sure you'll be able to make it happen. But this is a proposal
discussion thread which asks for feedback so thats what i gave.

Now that you've explained further I even more think it doesn't seem
quite right. Sounds to me like the Hadoop PMC is a bit disfunctional
if they couldn't make these guys committers and pushed them off to
github and maybe it would be better to just fix that. Or split
MapReduce out of Hadoop to its own new TLP which you'd think would be
more willing to embrace MRUnit.

   ...ant