incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Voting waiting period
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:33:23 GMT
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 2/12/2011 10:57 AM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

>>> The rule ought to be that the vote is long enough to let everyone
>>> interested vote before closing of polls.
>>
>> How can you know when *everyone interested* has long enough? *Open
>> Source* by its definition means you can't.
>
> "Release vote" is not a code quality/features vote, but actually a procedural
> "this is collectively ASF code" decision by the committee.  Yes, it's good to
> catch bugs and jettison a broken release, but the only *everyone* that is
> a concern are the committee members who would take the time to review, which

By the letter of the law you're correct, but I disagree. If the only
people who mattered were committee members, then we would just hold
all votes on the private lists. But this is open source and by its
nature it should encourage participation from anyone, whatever their
*status*. If someone who isn't a committee member votes against
something and backs it up with sound arguments, then it would be dumb
PMC that ignored it. I like it when people not on the committee take
part in votes and I think we should encourage it. As Hen said in "were
in the recruiting business" [1]. My pet peeve is people putting
"binding" on their vote - it tells non-PMC-members "you're vote
doesn't count" - we don't need to do that, the person running the vote
can work that out when they tally up.

[1] https://twitter.com/flamefew/status/36352411593351168#

Whether code quality/features is part of  "Release vote" is up to each
PMC and I have often seen PMCs choose not to release based on that -
and thats their right if they want to manage the project that way.

> is actually an ongoing process throughout the svn history of commit messages.
> As far as brokenness is concerned, you move on and roll another release if
> bugs were not noticed during the vote.
>
> 72 hours gives most any committee member who's watched the development of that
> code a chance to raise any "ASF stamp" concerns before it becomes a release.
> E.g. I was disconnected for near 72 hrs, and if someone had sprung a release
> at one of the projects I am involved in, I wouldn't have necessarily become
> aware of it nor voted on it.  But over the course of 72 hours, I trust that
> someone else would have raised concerns we share since most committee folks
> would have seen the vote.
>
> Less than 3 days, you stand a good chance of catching more and more committee
> members unaware.

I agree with this, but replace "committee members" with "people" and
lets have an attitude of inclusion. Just because the letter of the law
specifies that only committee members count, doesn't mean we need to
narrow our attitudes to not value other people participating.

Niall