incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] MRUnit entry into the Apache Incubator
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:57:20 GMT
Hi Guys,

>> I don't know, none of those things really sound like justification for
>> a separate TLP, keeping something like this nearby to Hadoop MapReduce
>> seems like it would help give it a better chance of long term survival
>>  to me. Wouldn't simply moving mrunit out from
>> hadoop/mapreduce/trunk/src to somewhere else so it can do its own
>> releases and deploy its artifacts achieve all those objectives?...

Personally I don't believe that the project has any chance for survival at Apache unless this
Incubator project happens.

The Hadoop community has been VOTE'ing over the past month to abandon development of portions
of their code base (namely contrib portions that no developers or users are maintaining or
leveraging). MRUnit came up as one of those contribs, and what was discovered was that some
of the issues with the Hadoop community (electing new committers, having too many products
tied to a single release cycle, too many infrequent releases) had stagnated the development
of MRUnit so much that a small sect of Hadoop developers had forked MRUnit into Github and
were developing it there. So there *was* active development going on, it just wasn't at Apache.

A few of us members (myself, Patrick and Nige) were willing to step up and volunteer that
in contrast to seeing an ASF product and its community head over to Github and continue development
there, we'd like the product to stick around at the ASF.

There is no hard and fast rule as to the size of a community for TLP-status, and that's far
down the road anyways aka why are we worrying about that now during a [PROPOSAL] phase when
it's an *exit criteria* for the Incubator? The point of Incubation is to help grow that community
and sort that stuff out and I have no doubt in my mind that these folks here on the proposal
who are willing and trying to develop something successful at Apache can't meet that challenge.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist