incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Rave project
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:05:40 GMT
On 24/02/11 09:49, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>  wrote:
>> On 2/21/2011 5:18 PM, Ate Douma wrote:
>>>
>>> The Apache Rave project proposal is a joined effort of Hippo, the MITRE Corporation,
the
>>> Open Gateway Computing Environments project (OGCE), the SURFnet SURFConext Portal
project,
>>> OSS Watch, and several other individuals.
>>
>> Keep in mind that only individuals participate at Apache, sometimes
>> independently, sometimes as employees, but ASF projects are collaborations
>> of developers (and docs and users, but principally of developers).  This
>> might be part of the reason for some [dis]quiet to the proposal....
>
> Ate wrote the above in his mail but that's not part of the proposal at
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RaveProposal

Indeed.

I initiated a plan for a project like this back at the ApacheCON last November,
seeking interest for it on several developer mailing lists, talked about it at
the European OpenSocial Event last December and discussed it further at the
OpenSocial 2.0 kickoff in Moutain View later that month.
That triggered several representatives (developers) of the now involved
organizations and projects to meetup and join the effort.

The organizations behind this proposal needed to be involved as large code
donations are provided so they'll have to provide the appropriate SGAs. And
they'll provide the needed CCLAs for their employees involved, The reasons
behind it has been discussed and explained in much detail.
Everyone is well aware of the principals of meritocracy, including the fact they
(as organizations) cannot and will not have formal control on the way how the
project moves forward.

If you really read the proposal, you'll even find explicit agreement and
understanding that possibly nothing of an initial code donation may "survive" in
this project. Something which will be decided by the project members
(developers) themselves, not the organizations behind it. I think that statement
and agreement strongly reflects everyones awareness and understanding of "how it
works".

For just about any Incubator project proposal there is one or more organizations
involved because of the SGAs and CCLAs needed.
And in this case, there are many, and much more than usual I'd say.
Which I'm actually very exited about, it clearly shows their already is a strong
interest, from widely different organizations and projects, none of which have
direct ties to each other (yet).

Large diversity and single organization independence is here right from the
start! And we all are looking forward to further grow this community and its
diversity.

While the project will have to (learn) stand on its own, the help and support
from all the organizations behind the initial members has been fabulous, making
it possible to draft up this proposal in less than 2 months time and get all the
needed clearances for the SGAs and CCLAs done upfront as well.

I find it appropriate to honor this strong support from these organizations in
my *introduction* to the proposal and say that this proposal is a joined effort
on their part, as well as from all the initial members who did all the hard work.

Ate

> I personally have no problem with the way companies are mentioned in
> that proposal - nor with the proposal in general, for me it's just
> fine as is.

Thanks Bertrand.