incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Incubator Board Report - January, 2011
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 02:35:02 GMT
A fairly quiet month for the Incubator as a whole (individual projects have
been busy).

The Apache River project (nee' Sun JINI) has been voted to have completed
Incubation, and to seek TLP status.

Mesos, a system for sharing resources (advanced resource scheduling) between
cluster applications such as Hadoop MapReduce, HBase, MPI, and web
applications, was voted to start Incubation.

Lucene.NET is returning from Lucene to the Incubator, prepatory to seeking
TLP status.

With Joe Schaefer's help, the Incubator is starting the process of migrating
to the CMS.

Ace

Apache ACE is a software distribution framework that allows you to centrally
manage and distribute software components, configuration data and other
artifacts to target systems. ACE started incubation on April 24th 2009.

There are currently no issues requiring board or Incubator PMC attention.

Community

 * Angelo will do a talk about massive device deployment and Karl and Marcel
will be doing a tutorial about ACE in the Cloud at the upcoming EclipseCon /
OSGi DevCon.
 * Some of the feedback and follow up discussions after ApacheCon have been
discussed further on the mailing list.

Software

 * Quite a lot of work has gone into the new Vaadin based Web UI.
 * A new, simpler launcher is being worked on by Angelo.

Licensing and other issues

 * None at the moment.

Things to resolve prior to graduation

 * Make sure all our dependencies are based on released artifacts.
 * Make a release.
 * Grow the community some more.

====

Bluesky

BlueSky did not report.  There is considerble discussion on the -dev list.
Not much in the way of commits, but it does appear from the -dev list
chatter that they are starting to grow the community a bit.  The growth of
on-list discussion may be a good sign.

====

Bean Validation

The community missed their December quarterly report. So, are submitting
this report in January.

Summary

The community has been active with discussions on the dev list and code
updates. A new 0.3 release has been discussed, but is not yet underway.

Community
  * No new committers...
  * No new PMC members...

Development
  * No new releases, but a 0.3 release has been discussed.
  * Work on annotations for commons-lang 3
  * Many bug fixes

Project Branding

  * Not started yet.

====

Celix

Celix is an implementation of the OSGi Specification in C.

Celix entered incubation on November 2, 2010.

Currently the source tree is being cleaned and correct header information is
being added. We are also looking at the project structure and how it can be
changed to get a better/simpler overview. Most important aspect is
separating the actual framework from the additional bundles.
Additionally, last December a proposal for a Celix talk was sent to, and
accepted by the EclipseCon/OSGi DevCon. This provides a great opportunity to
increase awareness and build a community.

Most important issues are:

    * Add more information to the wiki (ongoing process)
    * Cleanup project, rearrange structure
    * Generate awareness and grow a community!

====

Chemistry

Apache Chemistry is an effort to provide an implementation of the CMIS
(Content Management Interoperability Services) specification in Java,
Python, PHP, JavaScript (and possibly other languages). Chemistry entered
incubation on April 30th, 2009.

Issues to address in the move towards graduation:
    * First non-Java release (PHP, Python).

Issues for Incubator PMC or ASF Board:
    * None.

Community development since the last report:
    * We have 8 active committers working on three sub projects. No new
committer has been added last quarter. There are a few regular contributors
of bug reports, suggestions and patches.
    * Traffic on the dev list is steady.

Project development since the last report:
    * A second release of the Java subproject (OpenCMIS 0.2) is under way. A
release candidate is available.
    * The Java APIs have been refined and should now be stable.
    * Continued work on the draft browser binding (JSON protocol) in the
sandbox.
    * The Python subproject (cmislib) is preparing for its first release
since joining the project.
    * The PHP subproject (phpclient) increased coverage of the spec, refined
some of the existing functionality and updated documentation. Next steps are
to begin preparations for the first release.

====

Chukwa

Chukwa is a distributed log collection and processing system built on top of
Hadoop. Chukwa has migrated from relational database to Apache HBase 0.20.6
for data storage.  New aggregation script has been built using Apache Pig
0.8 and Apache HBase 0.20.6 combination.  Next steps are to begin
preparations for Chukwa 0.5 release.

====

Empire-db

Apache Empire-db is a relational database abstraction layer that allows
developers to take a more SQL-centric approach in application development
than traditional ORM frameworks. Its focus is to allow highly efficient
database operations in combination with a maximum of compile-time-safety and
DBMS independence.

Project development since the last report

Last December we have finished and published release 2.0.7 that features
some minor improvements and bug fixes. Currently we are working on release
2.1.0 with more significant improvements.

Issues to address in the move towards graduation and community development

After now being 2 and a half years in the incubator we have managed to
successfully implement and establish the Apache development and release
cycle, we have published several releases and we have received good feedback
from users who are subscribed to the dev and user lists.

However during all this time, we have still not managed to get ourselves
known to a wider audience and to get a significant amount of public
attention, most certainly due to the fact that have not managed to work on
publicity as much as on code. Also our community currently consists of only
3 active committers that are regularly contributing to the project.

For this reason questions about the future of the project and whether we
will ever be able to graduate have been raised. While the remaining active
committers are determined to continue their project commitment and to work
towards graduation it is still unclear by which measures new committers can
be won to join the project.

Hence, for the coming months answering this question and establishing the
corresponding measures should be our focus. One way of answering this
question could be to move this discussion to the dev list in order to find
out how our subscribers feel about the status of the project. Also it might
make sense to combine the user and dev lists in order to prevent subscribers
from missing information and getting them more involved in the project.

====

Imperius has been incubating since November 2007.

Imperius is a rule-based policy evaluation engine based on the CIM-SPL
language from
Distributed Management Task Force (dtmf.org).

Communication continues to be intermittent, there was some interest in the
CIM binding.
The community is not requesting new features and the project is being used
in at least a handful of projects
across both academic and commercial teams.

Things to resolve prior to graduation:
* Grow the community
* Next steps and future of Imperius at Apache.
* There has been some discussions about the possibility of not successfully
graduating from the Incubator. Hopefully, this can be resolved, soon.

====

Jena

Jena was accepted into the Apache Incubator November 2010. It is an existing
project migrating to ASF. It has a large codebase that provides a semantic
web framework in Java that implements the key W3C recommendations for the
core semantic web technologies of RDF and SPARQL.

Three most important issues to address for graduation:

* Create a code base in Apache with legal clearance.
* Migrate the existing community of developers, contributors and users to
the Apache infrastructure
* Create and communicate open project processes aligned to Apache

There are no issues for the Incubator PMC or ASF Board to address

Community development:

We have started to advertise the existence of Apache-hosted mailing lists
and the last non-Apache release included references to these lists. Traffic
on these lists has started to grow.

We are now using JIRA alongside our old issue tracker while we migrate
across.

Project development:

Project infrastructure is now set up and tested.

The last planned, non-Apache release, was done for Jena and all the related
sub-projects.  This will minimise disturbance to users during code
migration.

Code migration to Apache SVN will begin when a software grant for the
majority of the codebase is received (from HP).  We understand that HP is
actively working on this.

====

JSPWiki

2011 January JSPWiki Incubator status report

JSPWiki has been incubating since September 2007.

JSPWiki is a JSP-based wiki program.

A few minor bugs were fixed.

No progress in the incubation process. The project still needs to make an
official Apache release.

There have been discussions about the future of JSPWiki, considering the
long "periods of silence" and the lack of progress in the incubation
process..

Different opinions were ventilated, both positive and less positive ones
with no clear outcome.

The developer list currently has ?? subscribers, no change; and the user
list has ?? subscribers.

====

Kitty

Kitty is a command-line based JMX administration and automation utility.

This month was primarily engaged in discussion about the roadmap of the
project.

After presenting the project to the Los Angeles Java Users Group, the
community here expressed that the utility should not only focus on Tomcat,
but should have a plugin architecture where application-specific JMX
attributes are made available by dropping in plugins in to the application.

Kitty currently doesn't have such a capability, and the kitty-dev list
agrees that Kitty should head in this direction. A document will be produced
discussing how to best achieve the modular architecture, and begin working
on adding these capabilities, beginning with Tomcat 6 and Tomcat 7 plugins.

Some small code cleanup was done, and documentation will be produce on how
to get started in developing for Kitty to promote further community
adoption.

====

Lucy

Lucy is a loose port of the Apache Lucene search engine library, written in
C and targeted at dynamic language users.

Lucy was voted into the Incubator on July 22, 2010.

Progress since the last report:

 * Software grant completed.
 * Assimilation of KinoSearch codebase completed (import, IP audit,
   relicensing, namespace migration).
 * Some dependencies with problematic licenses have been eliminated
   (others remain).
 * Release guide draft completed.
 * ASF branding requirements mostly addressed.
 * Website transition to new Apache CMS underway.
 * Continuous minor developments (e.g. versioning scheme hashed out,
tutorial
   refactored, miscellaneous bugfixes and improvements).

Top priorities prior to graduation:

 * Disperse knowledge of codebase among developers.
 * Make a release.

Issues for Incubator PMC or ASF Board:

 * None at this time.

====

Mesos

Mesos is a cluster manager that provides resource sharing and isolation
across cluster applications.

Mesos entered incubation on December 23rd, 2010

This is our first report. Since entering incubation, we've done the
following:
 - Filed CLAs for initial committers
 - Requested user accounts for initial committers
 - Got JIRA, mailing lists and SVN repository set up

Most important issues to address towards graduation:
 - IP clearance
 - Migrate code from GitHub to Apache SVN
 - Setting up a project website with help and documentation
 - Grow the user and developer community

====

Olio

Olio has been incubating since September 2008.

Olio is a web 2.0 toolkit to help developers evaluate the suitability,
functionality and performance of various web technologies by implementing a
reasonably complex application in several different technologies.

Things have been fairly quiet on both the user and developer list this
quarter.

Graduation From Incubation:

The user base is not showing growth. Since this is a test
application/workload, it is being used as such for short-term projects.

====

OpenNLP

OpenNLP is a machine learning based toolkit for the processing of natural
language text. It supports the most common NLP tasks, such as tokenization,
sentence segmentation, part-of-speech tagging, named entity extraction,
chunking, parsing, and coreference resolution. These tasks are usually
required to build more advanced text processing services.

OpenNLP entered incubation on 11/23 2010.

Since we last reported in December, we have completed the code import.
There has been a lot of activity on the dev list, and we're filling up Jira
with issues to resolve before we can release.  Our users also seem to have
found the way from sourceforge to Apache, as there is also activity on the
user list.

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
graduation:

 * Resolve potential IP issues
 * Do a release
 * Establish open regression tests

====

Stanbol

Stanbol is a modular software stack and reusable set of components for
semantic content management.  Stanbol just entered incubation, on
2010-11-15.

Community development:
 - a group of five individuals were identified who had made substantial
contributions to Stanbol, yet were omitted from the original proposal. The
PPMC decided that, given that they intended to continue contributing, they
would vote them in as committers.

Main activities:
 - imported code cleaning
 - OpenCalais FISE engine added

Next steps:
 - Refactor package naming
 - Check build issues
 - Make a first release
 - Make the community grow

====

Tashi

Tashi has been incubating since September 2008.

The Tashi project aims to build a software infrastructure for cloud
computing on massive internet-scale datasets (what we call Big Data). The
idea is to build a cluster management system that enables the Big Data that
are stored in a cluster/data center to be accessed, shared, manipulated, and
computed on by remote users in a convenient, efficient, and safe manner.

Tashi has previously encompassed just the tools to manage virtual machines
using Xen and KVM, but is gaining the facility to hand out physical machines
as well.

Development activities have included:-
        * fix for xen root declaration (necessary if using external kernel)
        * parameterize xen root disk declaration
        * implement Miha Stopar's fix to improve handoff during migration
        * implement Miha Stopar and Andrew Edmond's patch to register and
          unregister hosts, and improve locking of resources
        * allow use of virtio disks under qemu

Richard Gass has created a branch to work on the physical machine
reservation
component (zoni-dev):-
        * allow physical machine registration
        * add integration with Apache web server for control
        * add facilities for DNS/DHCP registration of physical resources
        * make changes to Zoni DB layout (convert some tables to InnoDB)
        * add initial infrastructure hardware (switch and PDU)
        * demonstrate initial VM usage reports (shame-tashi)
        * add logging to infrastructure hardware controllers
        * add abstraction layer for hardware controllers
        * add debug console to zoni
        * add DNS/DHCP key creation functions
        * add physical to virtual cluster manager service
        * add primitive agent to keep minimal amount of machines powered
          on and scale up from there
        * allow zoni-cli to talk to hardware directly

The project is still working toward building a larger user and development
community. User groups have been identified in Ireland, Slovenia and Korea,
as well as at Georgia Tech. Several suggestions provided by users at those
sites have been implemented in the head.

Items to be resolved before graduation:
        * Prepare and review a release candidate
        * Develop community diversity (currently Intel and CMU committers)

--------------------

VXQuery

The VXQuery Project implements a standard compliant XML Query processor. It
has been in incubation since 2009-07-06.

Recent activities:

    * progress is still slow due to the small team/community size and
external commitments of the current developers

Top issues before graduation:

    * Build community (developer and users)
    * Increase development speed
    * Create a release

====

Wave

Wave a real-time communication and collaboration tool

Wave entered incubation on December 12, 2010.

We're currently in the process of moving to Apache infrastructure. Mailing
lists and continuous build have moved, source, issues and documentation has
not. On the technical side, the Wave in a Box system needs completed
persistence and search/indexing implementations, import from Google Wave,
and improvements to protocols and documentation thereof.

Most important issues are:

 * Build website and wiki on apache.org
 * Move source and issue tracking to apache.org
 * Finish implementation of major outstanding items: persistence,
search/indexing, protocols