incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache ManifoldCF 0.1
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 18:39:05 GMT
On 6 January 2011 18:23, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Very well; we will discontinue all binary distributions.
>>
>> That's not what I said.
>>
>> You can have a binary distribution if you wish, but there must be a
>> source distribution.
>>

> As I said before, it makes no sense to distribute ManifoldCF binaries
> without complete sources.  So we could (I suppose) have a source
> distribution AND a source+binary distribution.

That would be fine.

>  But we could not simply have a binary distribution and a source distribution.

That would also work, but would require binary users to download both archives.

==

On a separate matter, I question whether the current packaging is optimal.
There appear to be 3 copies of every jar in the binary zip file - no
wonder the file is so large!

Also, many of the included jars are commonly used elsewhere, so the
consumer may well already have a copy.

Generally, the binary jar consists of the compiled source files only.

Some projects provide additional bundles which include all the
required dependencies; that might be the way to go here.