incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] accept Easyant for incubation
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:31:28 GMT
Hello Antoine,

For me it's non-controversial. I'd love to see something like this, but I'm probably not going
to be able to spend a lot of time contributing to it. Maybe some OSGi specific parts, especially
if we can somehow integrate them with Bnd and BndTools.

Greetings, Marcel

On Jan 17, 2011, at 22:25 , Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We got no answer concerning Easyant.
>
> Does this mean that the proposal is non-controversial and that we should move on to a
vote ?

> Regards,
>
> Antoine
>

> On 1/11/2011 12:28 PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We'd like to propose Easyant for entry into the ASF incubator.
>>
>> Easyant is providing a solution for projects who want to use Ant and Ivy with a lot
of ready-made templates, with the option to customize.

>> The draft proposal is available at :
>> http://easyant.org/projects/easyant/wiki/ApacheProposal
>>
>> The Ant project has voted to sponsor the entry of Easyant at the Incubator [1].
>>
>> For your convenience I have pasted this proposal below the email.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Antoine
>>
>> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-dev/201101.mbox/%3C3A73C5DA-E4A2-4CB6-8423-0A985246FA8E@hibnet.org%3E
>>
>> h1. EasyAnt Proposal
>>
>> The following presents the proposal for creating a new EasyAnt project within the
Apache Software Foundation.

>> h2. Abstract
>>
>> Easyant is a build system based on Apache Ant and Apache Ivy.
>>
>> h2. Proposal
>>
>> EasyAnt goals are :
>>
>>    * to leverage popularity and flexibility of Ant.
>>    * to integrate Apache Ivy, such that the build system combines a ready-to-use
dependency manager.
>>    * to simplify standard build types, such as building web applications, JARs etc,
by providing ready to use builds.
>>    * to provide conventions and guidelines.
>>    * to make plugging-in of fresh functionalities easy as writing simple Ant scripts
as Easyant plugins.

>> To still remain adaptable,
>>
>>    * Though Easyant comes with a lot of conventions, we never lock you in.
>>    * Easyant allows you to easily extend existing modules or create and use your
own modules.
>>    * Easyant makes migration from Ant very simple. Your legacy Ant scripts could
still be leveraged with Easyant.

>> h2. Rationale
>>
>> On the Ivy and Ant mailing list, an often asked question is "Why Ivy is not shipped
with Ant ?". Ant users (and some opponents) complains also about the bootstrapping of an Ant
based build system: it is mainly about copying an existing one. EasyAnt is intended to response
to both of these requirements: a prepackaged Ant + Ivy solution with standard build script
ready to be used.

>> Also taking inspiration from the success of Apache Maven, EasyAnt is adopting the
"convention over configuration" principle. Then it could be easy to build standard project
at least for all commons steps (no more need to reinvent the wheel between each projects).
The "common" part should be easy enough to tune parameters without having deep ant knowledge
(example changing the default directory of sources, force compilation to be java 1.4 compatible,
etc...).

>> Last but not least, EasyAnt is intended to provide a plugin based architecture to
make it easy to contribute on a specific step of the build. Build plugins are pieces of functionality
that can be plugged into or removed from a project. Plugins could actually perform a piece
of your regular build, e.g. compile java classes during build of a complete war. Or, do a
utility action, e.g. deploy your built web application onto a packaged Jetty server!

>> h2. Current Status
>>
>> h3. Meritocracy
>>
>> Some of the core developers are already committers and members of the Apache Ant
PMC, so they understand what it means to have a process based on meritocracy.

>> h3. Community
>>
>> EasyAnt have a really small community (around 100 downloads per release). It is not
a problem as the team is currently making restructuring changes. The team plans to make more
promotion after those changes and strongly believe that community is the priority as the tool
is designed to be easy to use.

>> h3. Core Developers
>>
>> Xavier Hanin and Nicolas Lalev™ée are members of the PMC of Apache Ant.
>> Jerome Benois  is an Acceleo committer, he was a committer in Eclipse MDT Papyrus
for two years and he's an active contributor in Eclipse Modeling and Model Driven community.
He's a committer on Bushel project now contribute to the Ivy code base. He leads the EasyAnt
for Eclipse plugin development.
>> Jason Trump is leading Beet project on sourceforge (http://beet.sourceforge.net/).
>> Jean-Louis Boudart is Hudson committer.
>>
>> h3. Alignment
>>
>> EasyAnt is based on Apache Ant and Ivy. Being part of Apache could help for a closer
collaboration between projects.
>> The team plans to reinject as much as possible stuff into Ant or Ivy like they've
done in the past on :
>> * extensionPoint : kind of IoC for targets (Ant)
>> * import/include mechanism (Ant)
>> * module inheritance (Ivy)
>>
>> h2. Known risks
>>
>> h3. Orphaned products
>>
>> Jean-Louis Boudart is the main developer of EasyAnt. Other developers got interested
in this project and are now touching to every aspect of EasyAnt. Thus the risk of being orphaned
is quite limited.

>> h3. Inexperience with Open Source
>>
>> Many of the committers have experience working on open source projects. Two of them
have experience as committers on other Apache projects.

>> h3. Homogenous Developers
>>
>> The existing committers are spread over a number of countries and employers.
>>
>> h3. Reliance on Salaried Developers
>>
>> None of the developers rely on EasyAnt for consulting work.
>>
>> h3. Relationships with Other Apache Products
>>
>> As already stated above, EasyAnt is intended to have a quite good integration with
both Apache Ant and Apache Ivy.

>> h3. A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
>>
>> As we're already based on many Apache project (Ant + Ivy), it seems natural for us
that Apache Software Foundation could be a good host for this.