incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Basing Apache releases on releases from incubating projects
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:18:50 GMT
Hi Chris,

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hey Joe,
>
> I agree with pretty much everything you said below. One good thing (and correct me if
I'm wrong) but is that I interpret what you are saying here:

>> This is not an academic question.  Ask Dims how things worked for
>> Geronimo when they had such a dependency.  Basically the expectation
>> is that the dependent project will check the code into their own tree
>> and finish whatever vetting needs to take place.  It then becomes a part
>> of *their* release process, not treated as an external dependency (how
>> they bundle that software doesn't really matter).
>
> to mean that it's the decision of the project who is including the dependency's source
code in their own source code (and that is a mechanism to achieve what I'm proposing). If
that's what you are saying then I agree...

FWIW I agree with this - if a project includes unreleased code from
another ASF project in their release, they take responsibility for
that. If the included code comes from a podling, that's usually more
risky than from a graduated project.

-Bertrand