incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject I think individuals need SGAs
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:15:49 GMT
I've been thinking about Leo's email of the other day, and I think
that my edit to the mentor page is not right and some guidance I've
delivered to podlings is not right.

I'd like to float my logic here and see how it gets shot at.

As Leo pointed out, the CCLA has a specific section for granting
rights to pre-existing IP.

The ICLA does not. It has no schedule. It talks about contributions.

When we import pre-existing code for a podling, it seems to me that it
is dubious to characterize this as an act of 'contribution' by the
historical authors, even if they are eagerly anticipating further
contributions to the code in the incubator.

Therefore, I think that I should edit my edit, and send new advice, to
the effect that all historical contributors need to be covered by
SGAs. Those could be in the form of SGA schedules or in the form of
individual SGAs.

--benson